Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday addressed a gathering of people in Goa during his short visit to the state. In his speech, PM Modi spoke about the government’s decision to demonetise the economy, fight against black money, criticism his government faced against the move, among others.
Here are top ten quotes from his speech:
1) Demonetisation was a major step to fight black money and corruption; People had asked me to fight graft.
2) Previous governments neglected this; Did I hide anything? We took a key step to help honest citizen to defeat the menace of graft.
3) You will be shocked to know that many MPs asked me not make PAN mandatory for gold purchase.
4) I was not born to sit on a chair of high office. I left my home and family for the nation.
5) First time Rs 67,000 crore black money deposited under amnesty scheme; Total of Rs 1,25,000 cr has been deposited in government exchequer.
6) Those who want to do politics can do it. Those who are affected by this can cry and make noise but my honest countrymen, please support me for the next 50 days.
7) The steps taken were not a display of arrogance. I have also lived in poverty and understand the problem of people. This suffering is for 50 days; After cleanliness, not even a mosquito can fly.
8) The people who were involved in big scams like 2G are now standing in queue to withdraw Rs 4000 from bank.
9) We carried out a secret operation (demonetisation); it was 10 months of work involving printing new notes and announced it on November 8.
10) I know the forces who are up against me. They may ruin me because their loot of 70 years is in trouble. Have more projects in mind to make India corruption-free; Cooperate with me for 50 days to ensure this.