Amid weakening of monsoon and rise in food prices, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today pushed for close coordination between the centre and states on implementing contingency plans and asked states to set up fast-track courts to deal with hoarders and black-marketeers.
Holding a meeting with Cabinet colleagues to review the progress of monsoon and steps taken to contain inflation, the Prime Minister directed that adequate water, power and seed supply should be ensured to the farmers so that the production is not affected due to scant rainfall.
The meeting was told that the monsoon has been weak but it is likely to “improve substantially” in the next two months and steps taken to contain inflation have shown “positive effect”.
The Agriculture Ministry has firmed up a contingency plan for more than 500 districts, the meeting was told.
Modi “stressed on the need for both the centre and states to proactively mount a coordinated effort in implementing the advance action plan for the monsoon, with districts, rather than states, being the unit of planning,” said a PMO statement issued after over two-hour-long meeting.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Taking stock of the steps being taken to contain inflation, he said states should set up special courts for speedy trial of hoarders and black-marketeers.
“It was observed that the measures are having a positive effect, with adequate rice stocks reaching markets,” the statement said, adding there is now no shortage of onion stocks in Delhi.