Terming Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a “doer”, chairman emeritus of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata, on Wednesday said that he should be given more time as it was “a huge task to turn the government machinery around”.
“Since 1984, there has been no majority government in the country and we have had coalition governments led by a minority party and it had become extremely difficult to hold on without disturbing the interest of the allies. Modi has a track record of a doer. What he has done for Gujarat is there to see,” Tata said at an interaction organised by Ladies Study Group of Indian Chamber of Commerce in Kolkata. He said that the new government should be given some time to prove its mettle.
Commenting on the industrial climate in West Bengal, Tata, who was forced to shift the Nano plant from Singur in 2008, said that there was still no sign of industrial development in the state. “Driving down Rajarhat, one can now see unbelievable changes in terms of buildings, both commercial and residential, but it still looks like a countryside under development. And not that much sign of industrial development is seen too,” he said.
The Singur incident had a negative impact on the company and the product lost its long term marketability, he said adding that “When Nano was launched, it caused a global excitement that a car can be produced at $2,500. But shifting it from Singur to Gujarat, much of the excitement was lost and the competition got an opportunity to foul mouth our product.”
Without commenting specifically on his reported investments in e-retalier Snapdeal he said that he intended to have personal investments in several areas of e-commerce and e-retail. “We were used to ordering a product and wait for two months. E-retailing demolishes that thing.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016