Even as retail inflation for June recorded a worrying surge, the wholesale price index (WPI)-based inflation dipped to a five-month low of 5.19 per cent in July. The year-on-year headline WPI reading was 5.43 per cent in the previous month.
Inflation had stood at 5.85 per cent in July, 2013. The consumer price index (CPI) inflation data for July, released earlier this week, had surged to 7.96 per cent as against 7.46 per cent in June.
The dip in the WPI inflation in July, which was released by the government on Thursday, was despite food inflation rising to 8.43 per cent in July from 8.14 per cent in June.
The divergent movements of the CPI and WPI readings is largely on account of the higher weightage of food items in CPI-based inflation as against the WPI – food items constitute over 45 per cent weight in CPI, their weight in WPI is just 14.34 per cent.
Inflation in vegetables declined 1.27 per cent, and for onion it was (-)8.13 per cent on an annual basis in July, as per the WPI data. However, potato prices surged 46.41 per cent and fruits 31.71 per cent during the month. Rate of inflation in milk was 10.46 per cent.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Inflation in the egg, meat and fish category stood at 2.71 per cent in July as against 10.27 per cent in the previous month. Inflation in the manufactured products was at 3.67 per cent, and non-food articles, which include fibre, oil seeds and minerals, at 3.32 per cent. Inflation in the fuel and power category, meanwhile, was down at 7.40 per cent from the previous month.
The WPI inflation data was revised upwards for May to 6.18 per cent, from 6.01 per cent as per provisional estimates.