India’s export slowdown may have bottomed out and the recovery in outbound shipments is expected to be slow but steady in the coming months, commerce minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Monday.
India’s goods exports have contracted regularly since December 2014, barring a marginal expansion in June this year. A slump in commodity prices, economic slowdown in key markets and an appreciation of the real exchange rate of the rupee have been blamed, along with a lack of competitiveness in certain segments, for the export debacle. Merchandise exports fell 0.3 per cent in August, compared with a 6.8 per cent dip in the previous month. The trade data for September are expected on October 15.
“At the moment, the fall is arrested (and it) is very clear. The growth is happening. We will only be looking at the steady growth. It may be slow but steady,” Sitharaman said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Meanwhile, inaugurating a dashboard on foreign trade data, Sitharaman said it will provide comprehensive data on exports and imports, apart from providing information on trade from ports. The dash board, the latest initiative of the commerce ministry to offer easy access to data on India’s trade online, provides data since 2014-15, to start with. FE