The Railways have asked the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion to prepare a fresh cabinet note seeking modification in the policy on FDI to open the doors to foreign investors in projects like the proposed bullet train corridors, suburban rail connectivity and dedicated freight lines.
While rail operations controlled by the Indian Railways will continue to have restrictions on FDI, the country’s “rail sector” as a whole should be opened up to 100 per cent foreign investment, it is proposed.
This means scope for setting up of coach/locomotive manufacturing units owned by foreign companies, infusion of foreign funds in the Dedicated Freight Corridor and, more importantly, capital-intensive projects like high-speed corridors, which the Railways are in no position to fund on their own. The Ahmedabad-Mumbai bullet train corridor, for instance, will need an investment of more than Rs 62,000 crore.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has stressed on the participation of private players in developing the railway sector. Speaking in Katra on Friday, Modi said “private parties would also be ready to invest because this is a good project economically and will benefit everyone”, PTI reported. Rail Minister D V Sadananda Gowda will present his maiden rail budget on Tuesday.
The earlier policy proposed by the government envisaged restrictions on FDI in “rail operations”, which in effect limited the scope for foreign funds in the sector as a whole. The rail budget is likely to spell out the policy initiative, which will be rolled out subsequently with Cabinet approval.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More