On Flipkart’s new valuation of $7 billion even as the company continues to make losses:
Profitability is a long-term goal for us. We are fortunate that our investors recognise that e-commerce is a long-term game and are willing to work with us in expanding the business instead of pushing us towards short-term gains. We have 22 million users today. The day when we would have 100 million customers and be delivering products to one in three Indian homes, we will think about profitability.
On Amazon’s aggressive plans for India:
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Wireless Internet penetration and e-commerce in India are growing rapidly and there are several entrepreneurs with promising ideas who need capital to develop those ideas. Investors have identified this potential and are willing to make big bets on organisations with great concepts. As outside investors look to deploy capital in India, we’re confident that as a local entrepreneurial company Flipkart has the advantage of being on the ground and be better connected to the market we serve.
On Flipkart’s future investment plans:
Our main focus will be to build and strengthen the overall e-commerce ecosystem. Considering that there will be more than half a billion Internet users in the country in the next four or five years, a lot of commerce and shopping will move online. We want to enable lakhs of sellers and entrepreneurs to transact online as much as possible. Before that we need to fix the ecosystem around logistics, payments, packaging, cataloguing, etc. We will also be investing in technology and increase our focus on mobile commerce as we see a lot of growth there. We will also be expanding our categories over the next 18 months.