External environment notwithstanding, AirAsia India is here to stay, said Tata Sons chairman emeritus Ratan Tata on Thursday. Tata, who is also an advisor on the airlines’ board, said AirAsia and the proposed Tata-Singapore Airlines venture have enough room to co-exist in India.
“There is an enormous potential for air travel in India at both ends of the spectrum both in the budget segment which Air Asia will serve, and for the full-service carrier which Singapore Airlines will bring to the country,” Ratan Tata said at the AirAsia India launch press conference.
Addressing a joint press conference with Tata, AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes said the carrier will look at increasing the number of planes and is currently eyeing regions such as North-east India for newer routes. “Airlines should be able to fly where they want. I think the five-year rule puts Indian airlines at a disadvantage to foreign airlines who can come in,” he said. Air Asia India, which currently flies to Goa and Chennai from Bangalore would look at flying internationally if the rules were relaxed, he said. Fernandes said the airline is sticking to its target of achieving break-even in four to six months.
AirAsia India, in which the Tata group is a JV partner, has no objection to the Tata’s proposed full-service venture with Singapore Airlines as it was good for the market, he said.
Fernandes said India was no different from any other country but issues like cost of aviation turbine fuel, building low-cost infrastructure and the restrictions on starting international flights needed to be addressed.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
fe Bureau | The Financial Express