Japanese carmaker Honda has emerged as the third-largest carmaker in July with volumes rising 40% to 15,709 units, overtaking home grown player Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd which saw a 5% drop in monthly sales to 14,708 units.
With a market share that has more than doubled from about 3% in FY13 to almost 7% today (April-June FY15), Honda currently follows market leader Maruti Suzuki India and Hyundai, who command about 44% and 17% market share respectively.
Check Car Prices: All Models
Honda’s success has largely come on the back of a shift in focus to the mass market from the premium segments that started with the Brio launch in September 2011, but really gained strength after the Amaze- its first diesel model in India with an all-new 1.5 litre i-DTEC engine – was launched in April 2013. Thereafter the company launched the new City in January this year and the Mobilio MPV last month, both of which also sport the same diesel engine. The City and the Amaze have both been strong success with monthly volumes upwards of 7,000 units.
“We actually have a capacity constraint and are currently making as much cars as we can. We will have to soon see when to start the second shift at the new Tapukara plant,” Jnaneswar Sen, senior VP for marketing & sales said. Honda currently operates two plants at Greater Noida and Tapukara (Rajasthan) with a combined output of 1.4 lakh units a year.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Volumes are likely to only grow from here with the launch of the new Jazz early next year that will be Honda’s first diesel hatchback in the market. Industry sources said that this will be followed by a compact SUV on the Brio/Jazz platform, a new small car below the Brio, a diesel variant of the CR-V and the new Accord.
Roudra Bhattacharya | The Financial Express