Though the two Bangalore-based companies did not disclose the merger amount at a media briefing held on Thursday, analysts estimates suggest the cash-and-stock deal is likely to value online fashion retailer Myntra at more than $330 million.
The deal also comes at a time when the department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP) has made a strong push for foreign direct investment (FDI) in e-commerce as part of its agenda for the new government. The current policy does not allow FDI in business-to-consumer e-commerce even as 100 per cent FDI is allowed in business-to-business e-commerce.
The acquisition is likely to give Flipkart, set up by two ex-Amazon employees in 2007, not just a stronger foothold in the fast-growing online fashion market, but also the additional scale it needs to fight competitors such as Amazon, Flipkart co-founder Binny Bansal said. “This acquisition helps us grab a bigger market share and compete better,” he said.
Myntra co-founder and chief executive Mukesh Bansal will head the fashion business of both Myntra and Flipkart, and Myntra will operate as an independent entity and retain its website, while Flipkart will continue selling apparel on its site.
Flipkart’s and Myntra’s common investors Tiger Global Management, Accel Partners and Sofina Capital will get more shares in the merged entity. Tiger Global and Accel Partners first proposed the deal last year.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More