Domestic passenger car sales dipped marginally by 0.86 per cent to 1,58,996 units in May from 1,60,371 units in the year-ago month.
Motorcycle sales last month rose 3.34 per cent to 9,85,158 units from 9,53,311 units a year earlier, according to the data released by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
- Festive rush brings cheer for carmakers in September
- Maruti sales up 9 per cent at 1,63,071 units in September
- Car sales up 11.8 pc; passenger vehicle up 13.76 pc in August
- SUVs lose speed as car sales drop in July
- Car,two-wheeler sales post sharp fall in September,LCV shows upward trend
- India's Oct car sales in biggest 10-yr fall
Total two-wheeler sales in May rose 9.75 per cent to 15,15,556 units.
Sales of commercial vehicles rose 16.89 per cent to 57,089 units in May, SIAM said.
Vehicle sales across categories registered an increase of 9.89 per cent to 18,50,764 units from 16,84,263 units in May 2015, it added.