Asia’s leading budget carrier, AirAsia, is hoping to begin operations in India in two to three months, the airline’s CEO said today.
The carrier this month won court approval to operate in India after delays because of domestic airlines’ opposition. AirAsia India will begin flying with two planes, Tony Fernandes, AirAsia group chief executive officer, told reporters.
Despite a market of 1.2 billion people, airlines in India are unprofitable due to high costs and cut-throat competition. But Fernandes says AirAsia has studied the market for a long time and “we feel moderately optimistic.”
He spoke in Manila where he attended the World Economic Forum on East Asia.
He said with a new government in place, a wave of optimism and a strengthening rupee and stock market, “it’s a good time to be in India.” Prime Minister-elect Narendra Modi is to be inaugurated on Monday.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“There’s a billion people there, how strange if we can’t make it work,” Fernandes said.
But despite the optimism, he said the carrier will start with only two planes and “we’re just going to dip our toes, we won’t sink our whole body there.”