Seven years after the merger between Air India and Indian Airlines, there is little to celebrate, with the airline failing to achieve operational and financial parameters set out in 2007, reports Rhik Kundu in Mumbai. Weighed down by debt of R44,000 crore, it remains in the red with a loss of R5,388 crore in FY14 on the back of R5,199 crore in the previous year. Indeed, with a host of low-cost carriers winning over flyers, the airline’s market share at the end of July was 18% compared with 19.8% in August 2007; only on a couple of occasions in the seven years has the share risen to above 20%.
During this time, Air India started several new routes including Delhi-Jeddah, but discontinued flying on routes such Amritsar-Delhi-London. In 2012-13, flights to Toronto were withdrawn.
In June, the airline joined the world’s largest airline partnership, Star Alliance, hoping it would boost revenues by 4-5% thanks to passenger additions. A few weeks ago, civil aviation minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju issued a 26-point agenda giving the carrier three years to turn around but that seems like a tall ask.
Rhik Kundu | The Financial Express
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016