The Union Cabinet today approved ONGC Videsh buying an additional 11 per cent stake in Russia’s Vankor oil field for $930 million. OVL, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), had in May this year completed acquisition of 15 per cent stake in Vankor oil field for $1.28 billion.
“The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval to an acquisition by OVL for 11 per cent stake in JSC Vankorneft from Rosneft Oil Company (Rosneft), the national oil company of Russian Federation (Russia),” an official statement said.
Rosneft operates Vankor fields through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Vankorneft.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Watch What Else Is Making News
“OVL will be paying an amount of $930 million for acquiring 11 per cent stake in Vankorneft,” it said.
The acquisition of stake in Vankorneft will provide 3.2 million tonnes of oil equivalent to OVL by 2017. It will also provide an opportunity to Indian public sector oil and gas companies to acquire new technologies from Rosneft.
“The acquisition is in line with the ONGC’s stated objective of adding high quality international assets to India’s exploration and production (E&P) portfolio and thereby augmenting India’s energy security,” the statement said.
Besides OVL’s 26 per cent stake in Vankor, a consortium comprising Oil India (OIL), Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and Bharat PetroResources (BPRL) acquired 23.9 per cent stake in Vankorneft at a cost of USD 2.02 billion, which will give them 6.56 mt of oil.
OVL’s previous 15 per cent stake buy in Vankor had given it 4.11 mt per annum of oil.