The World Trade Organization (WTO) will start the process of consultation on the future of Bali decisions beginning Wednesday in a bid to resolve the current impasse, director general Roberto Azevedo on Tuesday said.
At the General Council meeting held on Tuesday, the director general said that he had heard from WTO members “a willingness to engage in this conversation, and to do all we can to find a way forward”.
“The consultation process that I outlined at the trade negotiations committee (TNC) will start on Wednesday. I will be holding a series of meetings in a range of different configurations. We then plan to hold a Heads of Delegations meeting on October 30… This is going to be a very important conversation. It is about the future — in particular the future of the Bali decisions and the future of the post-Bali work program,” he said.
Last week, on October 16, the director general in the TNC had cautioned the WTO member nations that the multilateral institution was facing its most serious challenge ever currently due to the impasse over pending ratification of Trade Facilitation Agreement and finding a permanent solution for food stockholding. He had urged members to keep working for a solution to the current stalemate.