Will file chargesheet: CBI to SC

Bench asks agency counsel to produce reports on September 2.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:August 13, 2014 12:55 am

The CBI told the Supreme Court on Tuesday that it was likely to file a chargesheet in the Aircel-Maxis deal, allegedly involving former telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran, by end of August.

The CBI told a bench led by Justice HL Dattu that the agency has received the opinion of Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi and the chargesheet was being readied for its submission in the trial court.

In his opinion, the Attorney General disagreed with the views of its CBI director Ranjit Sinha to drop the prosecution, and said that there was enough material to chargesheet Maran and his brother Kalanithi in the Aircel-Maxis deal case.

Maran has been accused of forcing Chennai-based telecom promoter C Sivasankaran to sell the stake in Aircel to Malaysian firm Maxis Group in 2006 owned by Ananda Krishnan. It has also been alleged that the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) approval to the Aircel-Maxis deal was granted fraudulently.

CBI also pointed out its handicap in overseas probe since Malaysian authorities were not at all co-operating with them.

The case also involves Kuala Lumpur-based business tycoon T Ananda Krishnan. Stating that it was for the government to look into this issue, the court asked the CBI to first file its chargesheet.

The bench further asked the CBI to “rectify” if the reports were true that Santosh Rastogi, a DIG-rank CBI officer, had been shunted out of the investigation of all 2G cases.

Prashant Bhushan, appearing for a petitioner in the case, alleged that Rastogi was moved out after he incurred the wrath of CBI director Ranjit Sinha, who wanted to protect Reliance ADAG group in 2G case.

Bhushan had claimed that Sinha apparently wanted re-investigation into a case involving Reliance ADAG and Swan Telecom but special prosecutor UU Lalit vehemently opposed the idea in writing.

At this, the bench asked CBI counsel KK Venugopal to produce all relevant records on September 2. It also asked Venugopal to submit a list of three lawyers, who could be considered for appointment as special prosecutor in place of Lalit.
Lalit is being sworn in as a Supreme Court judge on Wednesday.

Video of the day

For all the latest Business News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results