The government should adopt ‘zero budgeting approach’ and resort to convergence of welfare schemes to ensure the intended outcomes, the Economic Survey 2013-14 has recommended.
Besides, simplifying governance and involving the beneficiaries is also indispensable to ensure effective delivery of social sector programmes , the Survey said. A lot more can be done with the help of the private sector, which has been a little reluctant to participate in the government’s social-sector programmes due to payment and procedural delays.
The Survey says the single biggest challenge in implementing the welfare programmes is the lack of an effective delivery mechanism which did not allow intended outcomes to be translated on the ground. As a remedy, the government should also try to “remove multiple layers of governance, simplify procedures, and seek greater participatory role by the beneficiaries” in creating a better delivery mechanism, the Survey has said. It has advocated effective use of IT along with bigger private-sector participation can improve the delivery of social-sector programmes and also help in identifying the ‘ghost’ beneficiaries.
While India has not compromised on expenditures on welfare activities despite the global shocks as reflected in the rise in social expenditure as a percentage of GDP, the outcomes remained elusive.
“A mere mark-up each year in the Budget for existing programmes or starting some new programmes will not suffice. What is needed is a ‘zero budgeting’ approach with a revamp, reorganisation and convergence of social-sector schemes with a minimum size,” the Survey has said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More