Indian mobile telephony firms can generate an additional aggregate turnover of $8 billion and operating profit of $3 billion over the next three years by offering data-based internet services across mobile devices, a joint study by Google and consulting firm AT Kearney states.
The study, which was released on Thursday and titled ‘Creating the Next Multibillion Dollar Online Opportunities in Telecoms’, states that India’s mobile internet user base stands at 155 million people at present and will more than double to 480 million by 2017. “It is estimated that in three years, smartphone penetration will grow six times to reach 385 million people and the number of users who transact online will grow to 160 million,” the report said.
Data consumption on mobile phones will triple, and consumers will be buying five times the content they do at present by 2017, it added. “By FY17, the Indian telecom industry is expected to reach $35 billion in revenues, with data revenues growing at over 70 per cent per year till then and new digital value-added services (VAS) streams emerging and growing exponentially,” Nikolai Dobberstein, a partner at AT Kearney, said.
Going by the Google-AT Kearney report, revenues from data services should account for 21.6 per cent of the overall turnover for telcos in India by FY17. If this were to be achieved, it would be a significant jump in the proportion of turnover contributed by data services. FE
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More