A day after the CBI registered a preliminary enquiry against former Sebi chairman CB Bhave and former member KM Abraham for alleged lapses in granting approval to the MCX Stock Exchange, former Union home secretary G K Pillai quit as the chairman of the exchange citing “personal reasons”.
“It’s not true that all the board members were planning to quit. There was no such plan. The CBI action took us by surprise and it came on the eve of a scheduled board meeting. Only Mr Pillai resigned. Sebi has been supporting the exchange. The regulator was instrumental in changing the entire board after the NSEL scam surfaced. And promoters have been removed,” an MCX-SX director, who did not wish to be named, told The Indian Express.
In a statement here on Friday, the board of MCX-SX also dismissed “speculative reports claiming that several board members are likely to put in their resignations”.
The MCX-SX board met here and elected Thomas Mathew T, former LIC chairman, as the chairman of the exchange and Ashima Goyal, professor at Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, as vice-chairperson.
“Much will depend on the success of the rights issue. The promoters have been asked to pare their holdings. It is going to happen soon,” the MCX-SX director said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Outgoing chairman Pillai said: “I am happy to state that MCX-SX is run by a professional management team and has an eminent board. I took charge of the exchange at a time when it had several challenges. However, in the last few months, we have managed to appoint a new board and MD and CEO to take charge of the exchange.”
Sources said one reason for the resignation of Pillai could be that he did not want to get entangled in a CBI investigation. Pillai, who came to the exchange board only recently, was in government service when the MCX-SX approval case was going on two-three years ago. The MCX-SX board was surprised by the CBI action as Bhave and Abraham were opposed to the grant of licence until the exchange met strict guidelines set by the regulator.