The Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) in association with Cathay Pacific have organised the International Chinese New Year Night Parade 2014 in Tsim Sha Tsui. This parade will take place on the first evening of the Year of the Horse, that is on January 31, 2014. Themed ‘New Year Party @ World City’, the event will feature a variety of elements related to the horses to tie in with the Year of the Horse.
The stage of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre will become a ‘circus’ to welcome the entrance of the 34 festive floats and performing troupes from 15 countries and regions, and the Hong Kong “king” and “queen” of clowns will also make a special appearance to amuse spectators.
Highlights of this year’s night parade includes 10 international performing troupes: Starlight Alchemy from Singapore, who will play with fire; The Korea Taekwondo Association, and the Aussie Cheer and Dance Collective (featuring the Pride Dance Team), who will be kicking and dancing; The Bicycle Showbank from the Netherlands and The Toys from France, who will perform stunts on bikes and stilts, respectively; and LUXe from Ireland and Journey to the Caribbean from Trinidad, St Lucia and Barbados, who will be dressed in gaudy costumes and bring in large-scale props to add colour and gaiety to the night parade.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Thirteen floats will join the procession, which will embark from the ‘circus’ at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre Piazza. In addition to the 10 international performing groups, 11 local groups will offer performances, including magic tricks, Korean pop dance and hip-hop dance.
John Slosar, chief executive, Cathay Pacific Airways, title sponsor of the night parade said, “The International Chinese New Year Night Parade is an event that highlights everything that’s great about Hong Kong. It’s a vibrant, colourful and fun-filled spectacle that is the perfect way to begin celebrations for the Lunar New Year. Cathay Pacific is committed to supporting events that help make Hong Kong a more attractive place to live or visit, and that’s why we have sponsored the parade for 16 consecutive years. We are very proud to be back as title sponsor this year, and we look forward to welcoming the Year of the Horse together with tens of thousands of people from Hong Kong and around the world.”
Before the night parade begins, from 7:00pm, spectators along the parade route will be able to enjoy a ‘fire dragon dance’ on bicycles, a marching band, jazz dancing and African drumming, among other street performances.
In addition to the night parade, visitors and local residents can soak in the festive ambience by taking part in various signature events, including the Lunar New Year Fireworks Display, the Hong Kong Well-wishing Festival, performing arts programmes at the West Kowloon Bamboo Theatre, and the Lunar New Year Lantern Carnivals.