In what will add to the woes of Internet giant Google, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has ordered a fresh probe against the company on alleged abuse of its dominant position in the online search advertising space.
Earlier, advocacy group CUTS International had filed a complaint alleging anti-competitive and discriminatory practices in India in 2012. Later, matrimonial website matrimony.com Pvt Ltd also filed a complaint and a fine of Rs one crore was imposed by the CCI on Google for its failure to comply with the directions given by its director general seeking information and documents in both these cases.
“Google’s practices towards AdWords customers … needs to be investigated under Section 4 of the Act … The commission directs the director general to cause an investigation to be made into the matter and to complete the investigation within a period of 60 days from receipt of this order,” the CCI said in anApril 15 order.
The case pertains to one Vishal Gupta who filed a complaint against Google Inc, Google Ireland Limited and Google India Pvt Ltd alleging that Google Adwords accounts are extremely opaque and not transparent. The Adwords programme allows Google to sell keywords to advertisers and display them in the form of short ads online. The order further said, “Google’s practices prima facie stem, to a large degree, from its undisputable dominance in the online search market”.
In September 2012, the complainant’s group of companies had resolved to set up a remote technology support business and an Adwords account was opened and activated on January 2013. Gupta alleged that several remote tech support companies, including his firm, had been suspended from the Adwords programme to promote Google’s own activities in an unfair, discriminatory and uncompetitive manner.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016