A Bill to effectively empower the market regulator Sebi to crack down on ponzi schemes and investment frauds was approved by the Cabinet on Thursday.
Following the CCEA approval, the Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill will be introduced in Parliament. “The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has cleared the Sebi Bill,” an official source said.
The Bill seeks to give Sebi sweeping powers like attachment of properties, launch of recovery proceedings, seeking call data records to investigate cases and ordering search and seizure against manipulators and fraudsters.
The previous UPA government had sought to empower the market regulator to deal with ponzi schemes through an Ordinance, which was promulgated thrice. However, the Ordinance could not be passed by Parliament which is necessary for making in an Act.
Once the amendment, approved by the CCEA, is passed by Parliament, Sebi would get the requisite powers to deal with economic offences of serious nature.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review