The government remains unconvinced about criminalising marital rape as Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi told Rajya Sabha Thursday that a country like India is not ready for the change due to factors like poverty, illiteracy and religious beliefs.
“It is considered that the concept of marital rape, as understood internationally, cannot be suitably applied in the Indian context due to various factors like level of education/illiteracy, poverty, myriad social customs and values, religious beliefs, mindset of the society to treat the marriage as a sacrament, etc.,” she said in a written reply in the Upper House in response to a question on whether the government plans to criminalise marital rape.
The government’s stand on marital rape hasn’t changed even though a recent report submitted by amicus curiae Indira Jaising to the Supreme Court had called for criminalising the offence. The report had recommended that exception 2 of Section 375 of the IPC, as per which any form of intercourse by a man with his wife, who is not under 15 years of age, is not rape, must be done away with. It also recommended that any case of forced anal penetration by a man with his wife should not be registered under Section 377, which deals with unnatural sex. It recommended that such cases be registered under Section 375 “in view of the expanded definition of rape”.
- Criminalising marital rape: Will Maneka Gandhi be heard?
- High-level panel slams legislature for failing to criminalise marital rape
- Govt mulling criminalising marital rape
- Marital rape: Maneka Gandhi says need data to make it criminal offence
- Marital rape: Can the govt shirk away from its responsibility by blaming poverty?
- Marriage sacred in India, so marital rape cannot be applied: Centre
NDA’s predecessor UPA government had also shied away from including marital rape as a criminal offence in the new anti-rape law even though the Justice Verma panel had recommended it.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More