After a little over 5,930 villages getting electrified so far in this fiscal, the government has expressed hope that all the unelectrified villages in the country will be energized by 2017-end.
Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal has expressed hope that all the unelectrified villages will be electrified by the end of 2017 and every home will get power by 2018.
The Power Ministry in a statement on Tuesday said that 305 villages have been electrified across the nation during the last week.
- Govt to electrify all rural households by May 2018
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar expresses displeasure over power franchisee model
- All villages electrified, but darkness pervades
- Proactive policy being designed to revive hydro power sector: Goyal
- 112 more villages electrified, total now 7,766
- About 25% of 18 thousand unelectrified villages get power since August
“Out of these electrified villages, 53 villages belong to Odisha, 48 in Jharkhand, 44 in Arunachal Pradesh, 42 in Bihar, 34 in Chhattisgarh, 34 in UP, 25 in Rajasthan, 14 villages in Assam, 10 in Manipur and one in Madhya Pradesh,” it said.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his Budget speech on Monday had said that as on April 1, 2015, a total of 18,542 villages were not electrified.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his address to the nation on August 15, 2015 announced that the remaining villages will be electrified within the next 1,000 days.
Modi has earlier asked the Power Ministry to target electrification of around 200 villages every week by holding regular follow ups with the state implementing agencies.
The villages are being electrified under Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojna (DDUGJY).