The issue of privilege motion against HRD Miniter Smrit Irani created a brief uproar in the Lok Sabha before Finance Minister Arun Jaitely started presenting the Union Budget 2016-17 today.
Opposition members were on their feet seeking to know the status of their notices against Irani for “misleading” the House on the Rohith Vemula issue.
“I have received notices raising the question of privilege dated February 26 and 29 respectively against Smriti Irani. The matter is under my consideration,” Speaker Sumitra Mahajan said, seeking to pacify the Opposition.
- RS Chairman Venkaiah Naidu sends privilege notice against Rahul Gandhi to Lok Sabha Speaker
- Govt, Opposition fail to end triple talaq deadlock; judicial probe demanded in Maharashtra violence
- Parliament highlights: Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day over triple talaq bill as Congress remains adamant
- Parliament Winter Session highlights: PM and BJP committed to Consitution, says Anantkumar in Lok Sabha
- LIVE: Day after #Budget2016, Opposition set to take on Smriti Irani
- Budget speech: A poetic start calms House furore
After the brief uproar and Mahajan’s statement, order was restored and Jaitley began his budget speech.
Congress, Left and the JDU had announced plans of bringing a Privilege Motion against Irani, who is in the eye of a storm following her remarks in Parliament on the issue last week. PTI PR SPG