The issue of privilege motion against HRD Miniter Smrit Irani created a brief uproar in the Lok Sabha before Finance Minister Arun Jaitely started presenting the Union Budget 2016-17 today.
Opposition members were on their feet seeking to know the status of their notices against Irani for “misleading” the House on the Rohith Vemula issue.
“I have received notices raising the question of privilege dated February 26 and 29 respectively against Smriti Irani. The matter is under my consideration,” Speaker Sumitra Mahajan said, seeking to pacify the Opposition.
- Smriti Irani takes oath as RS MP in Sanskrit, Amit Shah in Hindi
- Amit Shah, Smriti Irani take oath as Rajya Sabha MPs
- Privilege Motion vs Privilege Motion in Lok Sabha as BJP hits back at Scindia
- LIVE: Day after #Budget2016, Opposition set to take on Smriti Irani
- Budget speech: A poetic start calms House furore
- Budget session: Will leave politics if any Congress-appointed VC accuses me of saffronisation, says Smriti Irani
After the brief uproar and Mahajan’s statement, order was restored and Jaitley began his budget speech.
Congress, Left and the JDU had announced plans of bringing a Privilege Motion against Irani, who is in the eye of a storm following her remarks in Parliament on the issue last week. PTI PR SPG