Who wants Nawazuddin to take part in Ramlila anyway. Let’s cheer the new idea of India

Written by Shantanu Datta | Updated: October 7, 2016 8:44 pm
Nawazuddin Siddiqui, actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui, ramlila, Nawazuddin Siddiqui ramlila, Durga puja pandal, Ramlila at muzaffarnagar, PTI, india news, indian express news Nawazuddin Siddiqui wanted to play a part in Ramlila at Muzaffarnagar which was cancelled after some members of a group protested. (File photo)

So I was checking social media, having just returned home after buying milk, and cheering on the men working at breakneck speed to finish the Durga Puja pandal on time outside my apartment complex, and I found someone had posted this small PTI copy run by websites. Old news, in terms of hours, but I saw it just now.

Anyway, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, it seems, wanted to play a part in Ramlila at Muzaffarnagar – – just another small town in the badlands of western UP (where I live) – – and which has had to be cancelled after some members of a group protested. The top police officer from the area is quoted saying members of the group were not comfortable with Nawazuddin playing a role in Ramlila.

No, let us not get overtly dramatic. Nothing within me died reading that report. It is expected. All of it. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would have “smelled” something. Would have perhaps said it’s all going as per a script. And what not.

I am too old, too jaded and too realistic to fall for all that.

So all I say is: Congratulations. This is a nanostep to wherever it is that we want to go, right? I am sure our brave undertakers of culture, tradition and whatnot will lead us there, too. So come out of that closet, I say, and say it aloud. Say it with cheers. Added for taste with jeers.

Better still, take this. Here, a printout of your Idea of India (who cares, hah, it’s Nehruvian anyway; an idea that has done it’s share of timekeeping. We are on to bigger, better ones now). Now what are you waiting for? You there. That’s a completely harmless printout, that. It’s sedition-proof, too. Harmless idea of India. Hah. Now now, roll it, light that match, and burn it.

Oh, also, here is your social fabric. Cut to pieces. You can use it for dusting. No no. Take it. Please, I insist. You will need it. There’s so much dust that has gathered on that life, times and vision of yours. So much, in fact, that everything you see your vision says you are looking at Bivishan.

How dare Nawazuddin Siddiqui want to act in Ramlila. Yes, let me say it anyway, now that I’m on a roll. How dare he? Have all our good souls died? Let him play his part in Multan, if he wants to. Muzaffarnagar abhi baaki hai.

For all the latest Blogs News, download Indian Express App

David
    Oct 8, 2016 at 12:10 am
    Mandir why are you attakcing Islamforfools? You want to be pay of Ram Leela you have to convert to Hinduism and have to go thru shudhikaran. Please be respectful. Will you be ok if I go to Mecca and shi$t on you?
    1. B
      Bonney
      Oct 8, 2016 at 12:15 am
      Sunny Mohammed, the first riots happened in 1947 there. From 1947 riots have been a regular thing in Muslim majority areas of old Ahemwdabad, old Hyderabad, etc. So why do riots happen only in Muslim majority areas? Why do Muslim still live in India if they wanted a separate land and divided India? Why did the riots stop after 2003? How come riots stopped in places where Non congress government came? Why did Muslims wipe out Hindus and Chrustians in stan? Why did you grow like pigs in India? If you don't want to sing Vandemataram don't you have your own homeland called atan? Did anyone stop you from eating pigs there?
      1. I
        IslamForFools
        Oct 6, 2016 at 10:57 pm
        Muslims are not pure to be part of our RamLeela, they must convert to Hinduism by the process of shudhikaran
          Amar Akbar
          Oct 6, 2016 at 5:03 pm
          You have nothing else better things to do but to pick some small trivial issue and try to write here so you also can become sensational journalist. Shame on you. If Nawazuddinn wants to play in Ram Lila and some people don't want him to, both parties have freedom of choice and who are you to side with one to prove other is wrong. Aren't you wrong?
            sunny
            Oct 6, 2016 at 8:23 pm
            news is trying to say since BJP came to power communal and caste hatred as grown
              sunny
              Oct 6, 2016 at 10:34 pm
              when riots happened in 2003 BJP was in power in center and state since than congress was in power at center for 10yrs now BJP is at center and proxy riots as started in the name of caste ,beef , vandemantram languages and many more to go
              1. O
                Orion
                Oct 8, 2016 at 12:28 pm
                Nawazuddin bhai, aagey badho, hum tumhaare saath hain! If really local unit of Shiv Sena is involved, this action isn't exactly taking them anywhere...that too in a state like U.P. If it was not due to personal issues, the UP HRC can issue a notice.
                  aggrieved indian
                  Oct 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm
                  Very true, while growing up in UP we used to see Muslim actors in Ramlila. My humble request to pseudosickular English media is not to project this as Hindu vs Muslim issue. This incident smells like a conspiracy by the "secular" parties like SP to consolidate their Muslim vote bank.... so stop trying to express gasps that oh my God.... all u pressutes....