Budget 2017: Lower tax rates, definitive GST plan and other expectations post demonetisation

Considering this rough run-up, there are high expectations of the government announcing various “feel-good” factors in the Budget 2017.

Written by Manoj N Kumar | Published:January 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Union Budget, Union Budget 2017, 2017 Union Budget, lower tax rates, demonetisation, affordable housing measures, GST implementation, cashless transactions, no tax on senior citizen pension income, India news, Indian Express Finance Minister Arun Jaitley before last year’s Budget. (Ravi Kanojia/Express File photo)

The Union Budget 2017 is unique and historic in many ways starting with advancement in the date of presentation of the Budget to February 1 consolidation of the Railway Budget to the backdrop of demonetisation effects and proposed GST implementation.

In the run up to this budget, the Indian economy that just seemed to have stabilised on a growth trajectory registering GDP growth of around 7.6 per cent was subjected to a sudden slow down with the bewildering demonetisation announcement. The decision though commendable from the combating black money perspective, has caused significant liquidity issues and is expected to have lasting impact on a number of sectors including Real Estate, automobiles, FMCG.

While the government has been projecting its strong commitment to restore the economy on its growth track, its political rivals are vehemently highlighting the long-lasting ill effects of demonetisation. The political turmoil has also led to slow down in the implementation of GST, the largest reform in the indirect tax space.

Considering this rough run up, there are high expectations of the government announcing various “feel-good” factors in the Budget 2017. Following are some of the key expectations from Budget 2017:

Revamped structure and lower tax rates

The general public at large is hoping for a change in the Income Tax slabs. As a result of the anticipated decline in customer spending, this year’s budget is expected to increase the current taxable income tax slabs. Some media outlets have reported that the Government is planning to revise the current minimum annual taxable income slab of 2.5 lakh to Rs. 4 lakhs per annum

Further, there is an anticipation to lower the tax rates, based on indications from the Finance Minister, Shri Arun Jaitley that focus should be on lower tax rates. The argument is that lower tax rates such as those prevalent in many economies actually have the potential to bring in greater revenues as they have a much broader tax base.

The Corporates also are expecting a reduction in the headline tax rate in line with the Budget 2015’s commitment of the government to reach a headline rate of 25 per cent in 4 years.

Definitive GST implementation plan

GST has been a major talking point and a bone of contention between the central and state governments over the last few months. With the air on sharing of control between the Centre and States being cleared, the government is expected to get the bill legislated and outline some definitive steps for implementation in June – September 2017.

Incentives for to discourage cash transactions and promote cashless transactions

The government has already announced incentives for those making payments through digital mediums like debit/credit cards, mobile wallets etc. and with a vision to move towards a cashless economy, the government may announce further measures to encourage digital payments. On the other hand, the government is also expected to announce measures to discourage cash transactions based on the recommendations of the committee of Chief Ministers such as abolish cash transactions above Rs 50,000, tax cash transactions above a certain threshold, apply a maximum limit for withdrawal of cash etc.

Affordable Housing Measures

Last year’s budget included some key announcements that promoted low cost housing and offered cheaper home loans to individuals for such housing. While the government has announced 4 per cent interest rate subvention for home loans up to Rs 9 lakh and 3 per cent interest relief for loans up to Rs 12 lakh, there might be further relaxations in the tax holiday provisions for developers involved in the construction of such affordable housing.

Exempt long term capital gains on immovable property and tax listed securities:

There is speculation that the Government may on one hand exempt long term capital gains tax on immovable property given the limited contribution of such income to the tax kitty as per past reports, while on the other hand the government may introduce new rules for taxing capital gains from listed securities. Currently, there is no tax implication for gains made from listed securities that have been held for a year. This minimum holding period may be raised to 2 or 3 years. There is also no limit on the tax-free gains, which might be capped at a high amount. Currently, there is a 15 per cent tax on listed securities sold within a year; this may be increased to 20 per cent.

No Tax on Sr Citizen Pension Income

Another populist announcement, which many are demanding is the pension income for senior citizens be made completely tax free. This will not only help the elderly but will also reduce operational work for income tax authorities.

(Manoj N Kumar is Partner, Direct Tax, BMR and Associates LLP. Views expressed by him are personal.)

For all the latest Blogs News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    john
    Jun 25, 2017 at 2:19 am
    My name is Rose from United States. I want to thank John Loan Company who helped me to get a loan. For the past three months, I have been searching for a loan to start my business, everyone tried to dupe me of my money until I finally met John Loan Company. He was able to give me a loan of $3,000,000 USD. He can also help you. He has also helped some other colleagues of mine. If you need any financial help, kindly contact his company through email: (johncarlosloanhome ) I believe he can help you. Contact him to get help just as he helped me. below are his words of encouragement to those seeking for a legit and honest private loan lender.
    1. J
      john
      Jun 25, 2017 at 2:14 am
        Sandra Daniela
        Jun 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm
        I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $5,000 daily for a maximum of 30 days via (wesleymarkhackers ). I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $150,000. Wesley mark Hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours from wesley mark Hackers today! Just send an email to (wesleymarkhackers )
          Sandra Daniela
          Jun 24, 2017 at 2:10 pm
            Martina H
            Jun 24, 2017 at 3:28 am
            Do you need a loan for some reason? If yes, this is a loan company that is ready to serve you to your satisfaction, apply now martina.h.loans for an affordable loan with 3 interest for private and cooperative purposes, no delay, No problems, just apply and get your loan! Ms Martina Honnacker Wait for your urgent response! Martina.h.loans whatsapp: 12676578987
            1. F
              Felicity
              Jun 21, 2017 at 9:57 pm
              Do you need a loan .We are Legitimate and guarantee loan lender. We are a company with financial assistance. We loan funds out to individuals in need of financial assistance, that have a bad credit or in need of money to pay bills, to invest on business. I want to use this medium to inform you that we render reliable beneficiary assistance as We'll be glad to offer you a loan Contact us via Email: hmloans2 Services Rendered include Debt Consolidation Business Loans Personal Loans. Car Loans Rent and House Loans Write back if interested with our interest rate of 4 annual. Contact us via Email: hmloans2 Please Note: All interested individual must send a message to our email for urgent response and details to obtain a Loan. Best Regards. Email: hmloans2 15175650123
              1. l
                leey73
                Jun 20, 2017 at 7:57 am
                Hello do you need an urgent loan for your business or to pay your bill contact Lee Hernandezloan firm now i offer loan to serious and interested seekers, loan in 3 interest rate i am a serious business man and my aim is to do business so i advice you to be a serious customer in order to qualify you to obtain a loan from my company. To facilitate this transaction, please contact me through this email: Leehernanadezloanfinance success is our goal. my phone number: 2348108925046 Greetings Lee Hernandez
                1. J
                  Joyce kane
                  Jun 17, 2017 at 4:05 am
                  THIS IS NO JOKE...... ARE YOU IN NEED OF A LOAN? FOR YOUR REQUIRED QUICK AFFORDABLE LOAN, EMAIL: davisloancompany yahoo OR CALL/TEXT {424} 772-2156 I'm Joyce Kane living in USA.I want to share this great testimony on how I got my loan from DAVIS LOAN COMPANY INC..I couldn't pay my bills anymore. I lost everything like it was the end of the world, my family were driven out of our home because I couldn't pay my bills anymore, i applied from various company but all to no avail i end up being scammed by this fake companies claiming to be lender and denied a loan by my bank as well as credit unions I visited. i was homeless, i was bored and felt like it was the end of the world, i pra so hard to God so he can help me, i cried day and night, to God be the glory One day i meant an old friend of mine who introduced me to this God fearing loan company davisloancompany yahoo At first I told him that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore,but he assured