Pierce Brosnan bonds with Pan Bahar; hope he got good money

James Bond, it seems, has decided to bond with the best.

Written by Nandagopal Rajan | Updated: October 7, 2016 7:58 pm
pierce brosnan, james bond, brosnan pan masala ad, pan masala ad pierce brosnan, james bond pan masala, india news I just hope Brosnan made enough money to seal his retirement with this one. If he didn’t then, well, he’s going to find himself panned.

I looked at the ground in disbelief. A hero at my doorstep, but surely a fallen one. Here he was, one of the first Hollywood stars I admired for his small screen presence, selling something that our government should have banned long ago. Pierce Brosnan, who first came into our living rooms as the lively Remington Steele in the US TV drama that took close to a decade to reach India, was staring at me, white beard and all, selling Pan Bahar on the front page of a national daily. James Bond, it seems, has decided to bond with the best.

But selling a pan-based product, even if it takes you to hoardings staring down at India from pricey vantage points, should be something that you do in times of desperation. Yes, even if you have sold everything from underwear to over-priced whiskey in the years before. But then he is not really doing that badly, with at least a couple of releases this year and a few listed for next year.

This can only mean pan baron Dinesh Jain — seller of “The world most expensive pan masala” — has decided to make the old Bond his ‘Pehchan Kamyabi Ki’. Saif Ali Khan, who used to sell the Pan with the “most stylish can” so far, has sure not managed to impress them with his Agent Vinod antics. I just hope Brosnan made enough money to seal his retirement with this one. If he didn’t then, well, he’s going to find himself panned.

There is one saving grace though. During the one-minute ad, set strangely to the tunes of some techno-style sapera music, Bond uses the “stylish Pan Bahar can” more as a weapon and not once flings the powder in his mouth. Bond’s small mercies, I guess.

Indian companies have over the years started developing an urge to make in India, while finding nice white faces to sell their products. Micromax pulled off a casting coup when it roped if Hugh Jackman to sell its new wares. Etihad getting a Nicole Kidman makes sense given the global nature of the business, but why get Brosnan to sell a product that sells only in India, that too some parts of it, should warrant a news debate.

Also, the one thing I would like to know is if Mr Brosnan had any clue what he was selling? I just hope he didn’t think he was selling a popular Indian masala that would be sold pan India. Also, how does he like his pan masala? Shaken, but not stirred?

For all the latest Blogs News, download Indian Express App

1. F
    Fred
    Oct 8, 2016 at 5:02 am
    I am not Indian so not getting it. lt;br/gt;What is wrong about the product? What is it? lt;br/gt;Why should it be banned?
    Aryan khan
    Oct 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
    What's wrong with it when the govt. openly selling tobacco n alcohol . He is an actor he's doing his job . Why don't you ask srk saif ranveer to stop promoting royal stag whiskey
  3. N
    Ninad
    Oct 8, 2016 at 11:42 am
    It's a mouth freshener 'mix' having various natural ingredients, which though now tobacco free, in the pre-2011 era contained tobacco. The problem is, it's still bad for health, and mostly only elderly people consume this. Eating this product is neither a sign of cl nor elegance (contrary to what it is made out to be), you'd rather be ridiculed by the new generation if you consume it.
    Krishna
    Oct 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
    Finally, quality.
  5. L
    Lavli
    Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 am
    Dear Journalist,lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;I know it's the b name which has shaken you to write about this w story and you felt it's a disgrace for Pierce to endorse a Pan Ma b but I think you should have done some homework before putting it out so abruptly, I think you didn't notice it's a non tobacco product that your favourite actor is endorsing.I don't understand if our stars can endorse fairness creams and support racism why can't a hollywood star endorse a mouth freshener ??? what's the harm ???
    m
    Oct 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
    Pan bahar if selling abroad --- then it makes sense
    Shaira
    Oct 13, 2016 at 9:31 am
    exactly! totally agree with the writer.
  8. V
    VIVEK
    Oct 7, 2016 at 9:08 am
    Probably because nobody in the world relishes Pan Ma except Indians and to find hollywood star and former Mr. Bond endorsing it , is plain amusing. I too chuckled.