Open letter to Karan Johar: I’m sad that you surrendered your freedom of expression

Karan Johar, I am sad that you surrendered to the forces of darkness and despotism.

Written by Ujjal Dosanjh | Updated: October 22, 2016 2:57 pm
Karan Johar, Karan Johar ae dil hai mushkil, Karan Johar statement, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil film, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil ban, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil news, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil movie, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil video, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil karan johar, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil news, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil upates, Karan Johar Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Karan Johar pak actors, entertainment news, indian Director Karan Johar at Express Adda. Express Photo/Amit Chakravarty

Dear Karan Johar,

You don’t know me. As an introduction of sorts, let me tell you: I was the guy who many months ago wrote “Hang Ujjal Dosanjh for treason before charging Aamir Khan with sedition” in response to attacks on him for voicing his wife’s fears about the then brewing and now surging fanatical storm in India.

I have been out of India since 1964. I was an eighteen-year-old young man, born and raised in relative poverty, who left India and over the years had to become a Canadian citizen to be able to practice law so that I could “bring home the bacon” as we say in the West. Please understand the expression has no religious connotations. It connotes only the responsibility of the parent to put food, vegetarian or non, on the table so it could go into the mouths of his/her hungry children.

WATCH VIDEO: Karan Johar: Going Forward, I Will Not Engage With Talent From The Neighbouring Country

So I understand why you have made a deal with the devil of fanaticism to have your movie run without violent and fanatic thugs burning the movie theatres in a felt rage of vengeance against Pakistani terrorists, sponsored by a terrorist military that owns Pakistan, a country run by an invalid Sharif government.

You and I both know that Pakistani madrassas and military are in the business of churning out thousands of fanatics ready to attack ‘infidel’ India in the name of Wahabi Islamic terror funded by Saudi money. By and large Indians, including the Indian Muslims, have rejected the call of fanaticism. India has largely escaped the most vicious Islamist poison of Wahabi terror. That speaks to India’s tremendous ability to absorb unanticipated military or cultural shocks–an ability we know well from our reading of Indian history.

As an Indian overseas, I understood and supported the surgical strikes following the dastardly Uri attack. But I also know as I am sure do you, that many Pakistanis just like Indians, want peace on our borders between the two countries. If the Pakistani actor/s in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil were fanatics harbouring hate against India, or were afraid of the India-hating military and the terrorists trained and funded by it, they would never have dared or agreed to work in your film. You must admire their courage.

I can tell you from personal experience standing against a storm of religious fanaticism is no easy task. Several years ago I took unending abuse and several poundings of an iron bar on my head in fighting the Khalistanis in Canada. Every thump of the iron bar on my skull made me more determined to fight them. The Indian and a lover of freedom of expression in me kept thinking “How dare they?”

Also Read: Karan Johar on Ae Dil Hai Mushkil controversy: I will not work with Pakistani talent in future

I want to say to you that I understand all the financial compulsions that made you say that you will never ever have Pakistanis act in your movies. To ensure your movie was allowed to run in theatres in India you surrendered your freedoms and mine to a few fanatics and goons of the MNS–the self styled definers of Indian patriotism. And you know patriotism is often the last refuge of scoundrels.

I was sad that you so surrendered your freedom of expression. I am sure you know and remember the words of the prominent protestant pastor Martin Niemoller and a great foe of Adolf Hitler. I reproduce them here for you and all of us to remember:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not
speak out–
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not
speak out–
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me–and there was no one
left to speak for me.

I am sad that you surrendered to the forces of darkness and despotism; but even sadder that not many others from the land of Gandhi, Nehru, Patel, Lohia and JP had the courage to speak out.

Views expressed by the author are personal.

For all the latest Blogs News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    Jai Kumar
    Oct 22, 2016 at 7:19 pm
    Between money and free speech money will win, between money and patriotism patriotism will win.lt;br/gt;Terrorism and art both come from across the border we cannot pick and choose the commercially attractive option when the motherland is coloured scarlet.lt;br/gt;Free speech needs the foreground of independent nation.
    1. I
      Ikok
      Oct 19, 2016 at 4:38 pm
      Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
        Aamol
        Oct 20, 2016 at 2:02 pm
        Dear Author, your articles feels like written by a 4th standard student. ociating the anger among Indian people about stan you have shown that you should not be taken seriously. Neither you nor Mr Johar is able to understand the mood of a common Indian because you don't know what it means to be a common Indian or Indian. When the terrorist attacks take place people like you or Karan Johar don't die but the common man travelling in local train, walking on road, working in a shop dies. You and Karan Johar can easily run to any country in the world which you may find safe but the common man has to stay right here and face it. You have no right to lecture anybody ... what is your contribution to your country? What made you earn the right of this so called freedom of expression ? You have not lost any loved one to these terrorists, you obviously won't have courage to think how a soldiers lives his life on boarder and how he dies defending his country. Open your eyes... this is India and this is Indian army which is sacrificing their lives everyday and morons like you are sad because Karan Johar sacrificed his right to freedom of expression and your demented minded also ociated the sentiments of Indians with religion ... you have some other agenda which is pretty evident here. And please stop that you live in Canada or speak like some whites makes you smarter than anybody ... you sound like loser as they job you are doing is absolutely not for you. You have failed at your job... you have failed your country ... you are a failure.
        Ak
        Oct 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm
        Iska koi family member border par stani SE marega ya isko border par pakad kar stani fouzi iski aankhe nikal le to isko samajh aayega
          Achuthan
          Oct 20, 2016 at 1:29 pm
          Mr Lawyerlt;br/gt;First decide whether you are Indian or Canadian! lt;br/gt;You cannot bring home the bacon to a home in Canada and comment about India. Live here. Then comment! You gave up the right to comment about Indian affairs as a former Indian when you took citizenship elsewhere...savvy that?
            Anita
            Oct 19, 2016 at 12:18 pm
            Dear Mr. Dossanjh, you seem very learned but this unfortunate that you really think this is about MNS and KJo gave in to them .. sir this time its about nation, its soldiers and those uncalled for terrorists attacks ...its the people who are really upset this time and we the resident citizens r worried for our soldiers who are trying thr best to keep us safe... i am no supporter of MNS.. n KJO came out cos he realised ppl r serious this time and his movie is about to suffer big time cos of the prevailing environment... please stop provoking the sentiments in the name ofbeing liberal ...warmest regards
            1. I
              indian
              Oct 19, 2016 at 11:12 am
              Pseudosecular answer to any problem: appease more
                Apoorv sharma
                Oct 20, 2016 at 8:46 am
                He is fanatic and lost soul. creater.