It is close to two months now that the Congress scion Rahul Gandhi has been away from the capital. And finally, the Delhi grapevine seems to think he will be back in town on Wednesday.
During his “leave of absence”, an union budget was passed, a former prime minister received summons from a court and the land ordinance was passed again. ‘Missing’ posters have come up in Amethi and parts of Uttar Pradesh, some even announcing a reward, enquiring about the whereabouts of Rahul. A week after his disappearance from the public eye a PIL was also filed in the Allahabad High Court.
- Rahul Gandhi’s 2019 battle cry: Like Kauravas vs Pandavas, fight between truth and lies
- Like Kauravas, BJP fights for power; like Pandavas, Congress fights for truth, says Rahul Gandhi
- Fifth Column: Hankering for political power
- Rahul Gandhi: PM Modi should answer questions, not always accuse Opposition
- Not like a president
- Rahul Gandhi’s coming of age in 2017 sparks hopes of a Congress revival
Leaders of the Congress have been ducking and parrying questions about their leader but nobody has an answer to the most burning question of 2015: ‘Where is Rahul Gandhi?’. Some were supportive, others dismissive of the idea that a public leader can just bow and exit from the political arena. The media, on the other hand, had set up their own sasquatch stations. Every statement from a party leader is a hint. Every sly smile playing on the lips of the high command is a headline. Morsels of information were fed like a trail leading to a game to hunt down. But it went cold after pictures of Rahul camping in a hill station were found to be dated. And it is surprising that nobody has started a “israhulgandhibackyet.com” with a timer counting the days Rahul he has been gone. Nonetheless, when the sound of bugle rings through the dry air of Delhi announcing his arrival the missing man has to face questions that need answers.
1) Why were you away from the political scene at the height of protests against the land acquisition bill?
2) Will you take over as the Congress chief?
3) If yes, what will be your first move after becoming chief?
If Rahul wants to be back with a bang these are some of the questions he needs to take head on like ‘Alfred The Great’ took on the vikings.