Venezuela “remains in a full-blown economic, humanitarian, and political crisis with no end in sight,” said a report by the International Monetary Fund.
The supplies to Venezuela will be carried out as part of commercial contracts between Russian and Venezuelan state companies, Russian Agriculture Minister Alexander Tkachev said in an interview for the Reuters Russia Investment Summit.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he fully supports the call for a new round of talks between the government and opposition.
The Venezuelan government said it expected 700,000 civilian militia members and 200,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen to participate.
“Any decision will be in conjunction with the partners of the region,” US National Security Adviser said. Donald Trump said earlier this month that he would not rule out a “military option” in Venezuela.
Colombia is among the Latin American countries which have roundly criticized Maduro, while also condemning a suggestion by US President Donald Trump that a military intervention was an option to solve the crisis.
In Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro’s regime has seized onto Trump’s threat as proof of its oft-repeated claim that the United States wanted to topple the current leftist government to get its hands on Venezuela’s oil reserves, the largest in the world.
President Nicolas Maduro has continued the free-spending socialist “revolution” started by his predecessor, the late Hugo Chavez, almost 20 years ago, using rhetoric populist rhetoric that the US “empire” is planning an invasion to steal Venezuela’s oil.
Pence trip comes on the heels of yet another provocative statement from Trump that Pence is sure to have to answer for: this time Trump’s sudden declaration that he would not rule out a “military option” in Venezuela plunging the country into chaos.
Venezuela’s foreign ministry was expected to issue a statement on Saturday responding to Trump’s comment that “a possible military option” was under consideration for the crisis-racked nation.
Nicolas Maduro used substantial parts of his three-hour-plus speech lambasting the “imperialist” US for perceived actions against his regime. “We will never cede to foreign powers,” said the Venezuelan leader.
Delcy Rodriguez, the head of the ruling socialist party and leader of the body, said the unanimously approved decree prohibits lawmakers in congress from taking any action that would interfere with laws passed by the newly installed constitutional assembly.
Lopez, 46, was already under house arrest when he was picked up by Venezuelan intelligence services overnight Monday, one day after a vote to choose a powerful constituent assembly tasked with rewriting the constitution.
The installation of the all-powerful constitutional assembly is virtually certain to intensify a political crisis that has brought four months of protests that left at least 120 people dead and hundreds jailed.
Maduro also responded to Washington’s threat to suspend the National Constituent Assembly (ANC), a body that the President created to rewrite the nation’s constitution, saying: “I do not obey imperial orders of foreign governments”.