“As soon as the short circuit took place, fire engulfed the entire room. Since the blaze was intense near the door, Sheela and her three-year-old daughter and three-month child were unable to move out of the room,” police said.
The reason for the fire is yet to be ascertained as 9 vehicles of fire brigade reach the spot to douse the fire.
The fire reportedly began at around 9.45 pm due to a short circuit in one of the shops. It soon spread to other shops in the market, resulting in the explosion of five cylinders placed in an adjacent shop.
No one was injured in the incident. The reason behind the fire was not immediately known. While the upper floor where the fire broke out has been damaged, the rest of the building was safe to use according to Station Fire Officer M L Sharma.
Metro House fire: The fire is confined to the fourth floor of the building and it is graded Level III (major fire accident).
The injured persons include mostly local residents of Buddh Vihar phase-I in outer Delhi’s Rohini.
Fifth incident in a week, police say primary reason could be short-circuit, but cannot rule out foul play.
Fire equipment non-functional, notice sent to Andheri building
Two more persons were taken out with critical burn injuries as fire brigade conducted their rescue operations.
Anita (7) is the only child who survived as she had gone to the toilet at the time of the accident.
Eight dead bodies were taken to Indira Gandhi Memorial (IGM) hospital immediately after the fire was doused.
While Mahesh died on the spot, his mother and wife sustained serious burn injuries.
Nearly four to five shops caught fire and the fire department are trying to contain it from spreading to other shops
A call to the Fire control room was made at around 7:15 am and around 10 fire tenders reached the spot.
As many as fifteen fire tenders were deployed to douse the flames at suburban Avadi Poonamallee road.